Hi guys! Today I am still working in my 2014 Project Life album to document our house being built, and today might be the last of the layouts before we begin our painting portion of the project. Have a look at my process:
So here is the layout with only photos and Project Life cards:
And here is my completed layout, with journaling and embellishments:
The left hand side of the layout includes photos from Addison's graduation from elementary school. I am still loving having our regular life right beside the house construction in this album. We probably left his graduation and went straight over to the house to work on it that day, that is how our schedule was going at the time. I love that representation of reality there!
I mentioned this in my process video, and it is worth repeating. I absolutely used a more feminine collection for a "boy" layout here! I must admit I cringe at assigning gender assignments to colors, because colors are beautiful and enrich our lives no matter who we are. So yes, there are pinks and turquoises on this layout and I love them. And Addison actually likes pink, which I am completely in support of. Allow me to encourage you to use the products you want to use, regardless of what other people might say or think. Enjoy them all!
I also found myself pulling out one of Ali Edwards' Story stamp sets for this layout. They are always a great choice in Project Life layouts!
I do really like the wood grain in this collection, so I used two of those filler cards. This one houses the week number and the date of the week. So many happy textures and florals in this project, which always means lots of visual interest in your layout. I did leave some white space on this card for a place to rest your eye.
For the other side I included the documentation on the house project for the week. I began with this title card. Our kitchen was delivered, and when we stopped by that day we were locked out of the house to prevent theft or damage. We looked through the windows and saw these boxes, which are our kitchen and bath cabinets and counter tops! So exciting!!
These are the boxes. I loved taking this picture - it is so imperfect but I didn't know any other way to capture my pure joy and excitement at seeing these boxes. I spent many years designing interiors for other people (mainly work and hospital spaces), and here for the very first time was my very own product I specified and selected. Big moment.
So let me just tell you, not only am I in love with the kitchen, but I am also in love with these journaling cards in the Dear Lizzy kit! One of course houses the journaling, which is actually a timeline of the week. I wanted to document how the cabinets were delivered and installed, and then the house was turned over to us for our portion of the project.
This lovely card looks like it was misted, and I added the stamped label plus a few hearts to embellish. For the fourth card, I did nothing and just left the pretty pattern to show.
This is more journaling about what lies ahead for us in building this home. I have mentioned several times that we decided to participate in a program called Sweat Equity, where the homeowner does a portion of the contract work, and in exchange the builder waives a portion of the cost of the home. Typically the homeowners do the painting and the landscaping, and that was the case for us.
Now typically the program is designed for first time home owners and typically those home owners are purchasing and working on smaller homes. Did I mention we have four kids?! And this is a four-bedroom, two and half bath, 2,600 square feet home. Now, Alan and I are DIY-ers, and we love a project or two. We did our wedding ourselves (with help from some great friends!) and we have both certainly spent our share of time painting. Prior to our move, we painted the house we were living in, top to bottom as well.
But holy cow. Look at the way the house looked! No electricity, which meant no A/C. The doors and trim were there, but they all had to be puttied and sanded and also painted. We were responsible for the ceilings as well. And yes, the floors are only bare concrete and sub floors. And no, there were no bathrooms installed yet. So this is what is coming up for us, and this is what I will be documenting in the next few weeks. I will give you a small hint - everything works out in the end and we did awesome, and there are some GREAT stories to tell!
Alright, see you back here tomorrow for my Charleston Traveler's Notebook project!